I've got to leave for work in...10 minutes, so hopefully I can get this all posted real quick! I just finished up a new 1860-1866 era, cage crinoline--made from Kay's kit found here: Click!
Yes, well...I know it's not perfect. This is a first attempt after all. I'm pretty new to this era, though I've been putting more research into it than I should have time for! Sorry I didn't get any step-by-step pictures, I regret not taking the time out to do such now. Though there were a couple pointers that I thought someone might take note of.
(1)The instructions in the kit calls for a hole punch to make holes in the boning for the rivets. I found that the awl I used to seperate the threads on the tape to push the rivets through worked great for punching the holes too.
(2)Also, the instructions say to use a hammer to smack the rivet heads down/together with. I found this wholly awkward and troublesome and soon realized that you have more control and it goes quicker if you use a pair of good piers to squeeze the rivets together. Surprisingly, the metal is soft enough, you don't have to be superwoman to manage it.
I may post more later, but for now I have to run!